IRC Communication Research Resources
[ Apologies for the mixed referencing ]
Articles and Conference Papers (Alphabetical order)
- Bays, H. 1999. “The Gift Economy in Internet Relay Chat - Giving Immaterial and “Material” Gifts,” In Proceedings, “Exploring Cyber Society”, 5-7 July, Newcastle, England.
- Bechar-Israeli, H. 1995. “From
to.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 1(2).http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol1/issue2/bechar.html : Nicknames, Play, and Identity on Internet Relay Chat
- Byrne, E. 1994. “Cyberfusion: The Formation of Relationships on Internet Relay Chat.” Diss. U of Western Sydney, Nepean. [While I do not have permission to store this thesis, the original version has been taken off the Internet. This version is missing the bibliography.]
- December, J. 1993. Characteristics of Oral Culture in Discourse on the Net. Paper presented at the twelfth annual Penn State Conference on Rhetoric and Composition, University, Park, Pennsylvania, July 8, 1993.
- Danet, B., Ruedenberg-Wright, L., and Rosenbaum-Tamari, Y.. 1996. “‘Hmmm…Where’s That Smoke Coming From?’ Writing, Play and Performance on Internet Relay Chat.” _ Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 2_(4).http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol2/issue4/danet.html
- Doell, Wernfrid. 1998. “The Internet Relay Chat (IRC): Linguistic Perspectives.” http://www2.crosswinds.net/~wdoell/work/ircpaper.htm.
- Ecker, Robert. 2011. “Creation of Internet Relay Chat Nicknames and Their Usage in English Chatroom Discourse.” Linguistik online 50, 6/11
- Hinner, K. 2000. “Statistics of Major IRC Networks: Methods and Summary of User Count.” . M/C: A Journal of Media and Culture, 3(4). http://www.api-network.com/mc/0008/count.html See also http://www.hinner.com.
- Herring, S. 1999. “Interactional Coherence in CMC” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 4(4). http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol4/issue4/herring.html
- Lindlif, T.R. and Shatzer, M.J. 1998. “Media ethnography in virtual space: strategies, limits, and possibilities.” Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Spring 1998 v42 n2 p170 - 190.
- Lunsford, W. 1996. “Turn-Taking Organization in Internet Relay Chat.” Unpublished ms, U of Texas at Arlington.Paolillo, John C. Forthcoming. “Conversational Codeswitching on Usenet and Internet Relay Chat.” Computer-Mediated Conversation. Ed. Susan Herring.
- Meakins, F., and Rintel, E. S. 2000. “Editorial: ‘Chat’.” M/C: A Journal of Media and Culture, 3(4).http://www.media-culture.org.au/0008/edit.html.
- Paolilo, J. 1999. “The Virtual Speech Community: Social Network and Language Variation on IRC.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 4(4). http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol4/issue4/paolillo.html.
- Reid, E. 1996. “Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat: Constructing Communities.” High Noon on the Electronic Frontier: Conceptual Issues in Cyberspace. Ed. Peter Ludlow. MIT P.
- Reid, E. 1993. “Social Issues on Internet Relay Chat.” Media Information Australia, 67. 62-70.
- Reid, E. 1991. Electropolis: Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat. Honours Dissertation, University of Melbourne.
Rintel, E. S., & Pittam, J. 1997. “Strangers in a Strange Land: Interaction Management on Internet Relay Chat.” Human Communication Research, 23, 507 - 534.
- Rodino, M. 1997. “Breaking out of Binaries: Reconceptualizing Gender and its Relationship to Language in Computer-Mediated Communication.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 3(3). http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol3/issue3/rodino.html
- Vincent, C. 1992. “Collegiality in Cyberspace: Case Studies in Computer Mediated Communication.” Masters Diss. U of Tasmania, 1992.
- Werry, C. 1996. “Linguistic and Interactional Features of Internet Relay Chat.” Computer-Mediated Communication: Linguistic: Social and Cross-Cultural Perspectives. Ed. Susan C. Herring. Pragmatics and Beyond New Series 39. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1996. 47-64.
- Wong, M. W. 1995. “To Be In Touch.”_ FutureCulture_ Mailing List post. 25 June 1993. IRC Interaction Research Resources. </irchelp/communication-research/academic/academic-wong-mw-1993.html>.
CMC Articles and Books
- Baron, Naomi, S. 1984. “Computer Mediated Communication as a Force in Language Change.” Visible Language 18 (1984): 118-41.
- Baym, Nancy K. 1997. “Identity, Body, and Community in On-Line Life.” Journal of Communication 47.4 (1997): 142-48.
- Baym, Nancy K. 1996. “Agreements and Disagreements in a Computer-Mediated Discussion.” Research on Language and Social Interaction 29 (1996): 315-45.
- Baym, Nancy K. 1995. “The Emergence of Community in Computer-Mediated Communication.” Cybersociety: Computer-Mediated Communication And Community. Ed. Steven G. Jones. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage (1995). 138-63.
- Baym, Nancy K. 1995. “The Performance of Humor in Computer-Mediated Communication.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 1(2). http://www.usc.edu/dept/annenberg/vol1/issue2/baym.html.
- Bays, Hillary, and Miranda Mowbray. 1999. “Cookies, Gift-Giving, and the Internet.” First Monday 4(11). <http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue4_11/bays/index.html>.
- Chenault, Brittney G. 1998. “Developing Interpersonal and Emotional Relationships Via Computer-Mediated Communication.” CMC Magazine, (May). <http://www.december.com/cmc/mag/1998/may/chenault.html>.
- Cherny, L. 1996. Conversation and Community: Chat in a Virtual World. Standford: CSLI Publications, 1999.
- Condon, Sherry. L., and Claude G. Cech. 1996. “Discourse Management Strategies in Face-To-Face and Computer-Mediated Decision Making Interactions.” Electronic Journal of Communication/La Revue Électronique de Communication, 6(3) <http://www.cios.org/www/ejc/v6n396.htm>.
- Contractor, Noshir S., and David R. Seibold. 1993. “Theoretical Frameworks For The Study Of Structuring Processes In Group Decision Support Systems: Adaptive Structuration Theory And Self-Organizing Systems Theory.” Human Communication Research 19 (1993): 528-64.
- Daft, Richard L., and Robert H. Lengel. 1986. “Organizational Information Requirements, Media Richness, and Structural Determinants.” Management Science 32 (1986): 554-71.
- Daft, Richard L., Robert H. Lengel and Linda Klebe Trevino. 1987. “Message Equivocality, Media Selection, and Manager Performance: Implications for Information Systems.” MIS Quarterly 11: 355-66.
- December, John. 1993. “Units of Analysis for Internet Communication.” Journal of Communication 46.1 (1996): 14-38. —-. 1993.
- Hiltz, Starr Roxanne, Kenneth Johnson and Murray Turoff. 1986. “Experiments in Group Decision Making: Communication Process and Outcome in Face-to-Face Versus Computerized Conferences.” Human Communication Research 13: 225-52.
- Hiltz, Starr Roxanne, and Murray Turoff. 1978. The Network Nation: Human Communication via Computer. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley.
- Kiesler, Sara, et al. 1985. “Affect in Computer Mediated Communication: An Experiment in Synchronous Terminal-to-Terminal Discussion.” Human Computer Interaction 1: 77-104.
- Kiesler, Sara, Jane Seigel and Timothy W. McGuire. 1984. “Social and Psychological Aspects of Computer-Mediated Communication.” American Psychologist 39: 1123-34.
- Kiesler, Sara, and Lee Sproull. 1986. “Reducing Social Context Cues: Electronic Mail in Organizational Communication.” Management Science 32: 1492-512.
- Marvin, Lee-Ellen. 1995. “Spoof, Spam, Lurk and Lag: The Aesthetics of Text-Based Virtual Realities.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 1(2) http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol1/issue2/marvin.html.
- Murphy, Karen L., and Mauri Collins. 1999. “Communication Conventions in Institutional Electronic Chats.” First Monday, 2(11). <http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue2_11/murphy/>.
- Newhagen, John E., and Sheizaf Rafaeli. 1996. “Why Communication Researchers Should Study the Internet: A Dialogue.” Journal of Communication 46.1: 4-13.
- Parks, Malcolm R. and Kory Floyd. 1986. “Making Friends in Cyberspace.” Journal of Communication 46.1 (1996): 80-97.
- Postmes, Tom, Russell Spears and Martin Lea. 1998. “Breaching or Building Social Boundaries?: SIDE-effects of Computer-Mediated Communication.” Communication Research 25: 689-715.
- Quarterman, John S. 1990. The Matrix: Computer Networks and Conferencing Systems Worldwide. Bedford, MA: Digital P.
- Rapaport, Matthew. 1994. Computer Mediated Communications: Bulletin Boards, Computer Conferencing, Electronic Mail and Information Retrieval. New York: Wiley. 1991.
- Rheingold, Howard. 1994. The Virtual Community: Finding Connection in a Computerized World. London: Secker and Warburg, 1994.
- Rice, Ronald E. 1984. “Mediated Group Communication.” The New Media: Communication, Research, and Technology. Ed. Ronald E. Rice et al. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1984. 129-56.
- Rice, Ronald E., and Donald Case. 1983. “Electronic Message Systems in The University: A Description of Use and Utility.” Journal of Communication 33.1 (1983): 131-52.
- Rice, Ronald E., and Gail Love. 1987. “Electronic Emotion: Socioemotional Content in a Computer-Mediated Network.” Communication Research 14 (1987): 85-108.
- Riva, Giuseppe, and Carlo Galimberti. 1998. “Computer-Mediated Communication: Identity and Social Interaction in an Electronic Environment.” Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs 124: 434-64.
- Steinfield, Charles. W. 1986. “Computer-Mediated Communication in an Organizational Setting: Explaining Task-Related and Socioemotional Uses.” Communication Yearbook 9: 71-94.
- Stewart, Concetta M., et al. 1997. “The Dynamics of Online Chats: An Examination of Gender Issues in IRC.” 47th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association. Montreal, May, 1997.
- Walther, Joseph B. 1997. “Group and Interpersonal Effects in International Computer-Mediated Collaboration.” Human Communication Research 23 (1997): 342-69.
- Walther, Joseph B. 1996. ” Computer-Mediated Communication: Impersonal, Interpersonal, and Hyperpersonal Interaction.” Communication Research 23 (1996): 3-43.
- Walther, Joseph B. 1995. ” Relational Aspects of Computer-Mediated Communication: Experimental Observations Over Time.” Organization Science 6 (1995): 186-203.
- Walther, Joseph B. 1994. ” Anticipated Ongoing Interaction Versus Channel Effects on Relational Communication in Computer-Mediated Interaction.” Human Communication Research 20 (1994): 473-501.
- Walther, Joseph B. 1992. ” Interpersonal Effects in Computer-Mediated Interaction: A Relational Perspective.” Communication Research 19 (1992): 52-90.
- Walther, Joseph B., Jeffery F. Anderson and David W. Park. 1994. “Interpersonal Effects in Computer-Mediated Interaction: A Meta-Analysis of Social and Antisocial Communication.” Communication Research 21 (1994): 460-87.
- Walther, Joseph B., and Judee K. Burgoon. 1992. “Relational Communication in Computer Mediated Interaction.” Human Communication Research 19 (1992): 50-88.
- Williams, Ederyn. 1977. “Experimental Comparisons of Face-to-Face and Mediated Communication: A Review.” Psychological Bulletin 84: 963-76.
_Relevant Journals _
- Electronic Journal on Virtual Culture
- Information, Communication & Society
- Information Society
- First Monday
- Journal of Computer Mediated Communication (Also has a useful Cite Site).
- Journal of Electronic Communication (Unfortunately, you have to pay to see it. Linked to the Communication Institute for Online Scholarship)
- Journal of Online Behavior
- M/C Online
- New Media and Society
- John December’s CMC Magazine attached to the comprehensive Computed Mediated Communication Information Sources site.
- Human Communication Research
- Journal of Communication
- Research on Language and Social Interaction
_R e s o u r c e s o n W e b s i t e s
_[ See also: Other IRC Resources ]
IRChelp.org stores the IRC Operators Guide and IRC’s technical specifications in the form of Return For Comment documents. The most important of these is the original RFC1459
Oikarinen, Jarkko, and Darren Reed. 1993. “RFC1459.” http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/rfc.html IRChelp.org Internet Relay Chat (IRC). Help Archive. Internet Relay Chat Protocol May 1993. [Your date of access].
- IRC network history (Updated 2000, from chatserver.org)
- Meta Chats
- IRC Related Documents
- Synchronous Computer Mediated Communication
- For other IRC websites, IRC newsgroups and other CMC websites see the Other IRC Resources page.